Thursday, August 2, 2012

To What Am I Saying No...

Today is my 33rd birthday! I feel slightly different, but in a really good way! I woke up feeling like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. This year has proven to be the ultimate "boot camp" preparing me for the next phase in my life. A wise woman told me a few weeks ago, as I attempted to understand why I struggle so much with certain decisions, and how to make better decisions. To this she very lovingly but directly told me to ask myself, "If I say yes to this, to what am I saying no?" Amazing, it clicked! Unsurprisingly, as I looked at what I considered some of the most damaging decisions of my past, overwhelmingly the "no" was me. I realized that I had spent 33 years saying no to me, and yes to everything and everyone else. All of the "yeses" were not always wrong, but I should have taken care of me first. Waking up with this phenomenal tool in my toolbox, lifts that incredible weight. I no longer have to struggle so hard to take care of me, as long as my decisions do not say no to me, my values, beliefs, goals, comfort, and ultimately my happiness. Happy Birthday to ME!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday April! You were born on the same say as the Godfather of Black Cool James Baldwin!

    Zachari

    ReplyDelete