Friday, August 3, 2012

Beasts of the Southern Wild Part 1

So last night my birthday outing plan was for Jade and I (and her great friend Jordan) to meet up with friends an go see Beasts of the Southern Wild at the E Street Cinema. My sister hipped my to this film, and she and I almost always like the same movies for the same reasons. So I was really excited to go. Unfortunately, like is all too often the case, I was late, and then of course there was that great downtown DC parking experience, so I was ridiculously late. Needless to say, I did  actually sit down in the theater until an hour into the movie. A few people said they really hated the movie, and were even offended and disgusted by its content. Their comments were around issues of race and poverty as depicted in the film. Even in just watching the last hour, I didn't get any of that AT ALL. I immediately felt as though I was in a magical fiction novel where every actor, conversation and event was not understandable from our world view or reality. It was like a movie based on a book we'd read in a high school English class and dissect for underlying  meaning and subtext. Needless to say I am compelled to go see this film from the beginning today! Part 2, coming soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment